Molesworth Autumn Colours, 3 Day Tour
A beautiful time of the year to tour in the Molesworth is autumn. This is when the exotic trees planted in the valley turn gold and put on their spectacular display.
Your guide Will Parsons will tell you some of the yarns of the back country about characters such as the resourceful farm managers Bill and Rachel Chisholm and run holder Acton Adams you was a farming entrepreneur of his time.
The landscapes of the Awatere Valley, the Molesworth and the St James Stations are awe inspiring. Photos rarely do this scenery justice and it just has to be experienced to be fully appreciated. Molesworth is the largest farm in New Zealand covering 180,787‑hectares. It is still mustered by hardy stock horses bred and trained at the station.
Highlights of the trip include stopping at original cob cottages and out buildings, historic bridges and morning ‘smoko’ at a farm. We take plenty of breaks along the way so you can feel and breathe the high country.
2 nights and 3 days
Departure date: Wednesday 1st May 2019.
Please enquire about our Spring 2019 tour dates.
Departure point: Blenheim.
Departure and arrival times:
Approximately 8.30am > 5.30pm
Fitness level required:
Short walks that might be taken as part of the tour are optional. A majority of the tour is spent seated in the vehicle. Brief stops are taken to stretch and enjoy the scenery.
$1500 twin share $1600 single supplement.
Maximum number: 8
"Many thanks for the wonderful two day trip. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it from the awesome scenery and colours, Will’s wonderful driving and very informative and amusing narrative and amazing depth of knowledge, the excellent and abundant food to the glorious weather and cloudless blue sky. It was a great way to get away from the stresses of every day life. Thank you also for the photos, they are better than mine although I did get some lovely ones. I would be very interested in joining other future tours, time and circumstances permitting". Regards Jill Middlemiss.
• Have morning and afternoon tea at a high country farm and meet the locals.
• Hear the history of the area by a qualified and experienced guide, a fifth generation New Zealander and ex farmer. Will is passionate about early Marlborough's history.
• See the mountain, Tapuae-o-Uenuku which mountaineer Edmund Hillary trained on as a young man.
• Hear about the challenges of farming in the high country.
• Take a short stroll in the stunning and awe inspiring scenery of the half a million‑acre Molesworth Station.
• Relax in the geothermal hot pool resort of Hanmer Springs, nestled at the foot of the Canterbury Alps.
• All meals supplied.
• Comfortable accommodation
• A tour of Flaxmere Gardens.
• A qualified and experienced driver and guide who has long had a fascination for the areas history and wildlife.
• Binoculars, walking sticks, reference books for the tour.
• Air conditioned eight seat Nissan Hi Ace 4WD van with intercom.
• Pick up and drop off within Blenheim.