St James Wild Horse Sale Tour
Travel through the stunning scenery of the Molesworth Station to join horse lovers from around the South Island at the iconic biannual wild horse sale.
Hear commentary about the history and the wildlife of Molesworth Station from ex high country farmer Will Parsons.
At the sale you will join the picnic held each year before the sale and them take part in the excitement of the sale. Hear about the origins of the horses and how the sale came about. Meet people who have purchased the horses and had outstanding success with this beautiful and vigorous breed. Be careful you don't end up buying one!
After the sale you can pamper yourself at the hot pools if you wish.
We will visit Lake Tennyson on our return and visit a couple who have started a a new horse packing business a Awapiri. This tour only happens once every two years so don't miss out, book your seat now.
Departure date: Saturday 28th January 2017.
Departure point: Blenheim, South Island.
Two days, one night.
Price: $660 per person.
Aspen Lodge, Hanmer Springs or similar motel.
Air conditioned eight seater van.
What to bring:
We will send you a list of what to bring at the time of booking.
Saturday 28th January
We will be up with the sun when we depart from Blenheim and be rewarded with a cooked breakfast at a Awatere Valley high country farm were horses for mustering are a way of life.
When we arrive in Hanmer we will have a picnic hamper on rugs by the river near the sale yards. After lunch the excitement of the horse sale begins.
After the sale you can enjoy a relaxing soak in the Hanmer Springs nature hot pools and have dinner at Malabar Restaurant.
Sue and Eric will be our hosts at Aspen Lodge.
Sunday 29th January
We will join for breakfast at the Power House Cafe before departing for Lake Tennyson were we will have a cup of tea from a thermette and look for alpine flora on the nearby herb field.
We will share a platter and a glass of wine at the Historic Cobb Cottage at the Molesworth Gates where you will hear about the history of the Molesworth Station from your driver Will Parsons.
Afternoon tea will be with Sally and Eric of Awapiri Pack Track Tours further down the Awatere Valley. We will return to Blenheim by early evening.
- Pick up and drop off from your address in Blenheim.
- All Breakfast, picnic and morning and afternoon tea.
- Evening meal and hot pool is not included, allowing flexibility. We have booked the Malabar fusion restaurant.
- Visit to Sally and Eric's home at Awapriri.
- Air conditioned 4 wheel drive vehicle.
- Complimentary bubbles with lunch on day two.
- Trailer for bags.
- Commentary from Will Parsons an ex high country farmer.
- Scenic drove through the icon Molesworth Station. Hear about the history of the early musterers.
- Breakfast at the legendary Pump House Cafe.
- Comfortable units at Aspen Lodge, Hanmer Springs or similar quality motel. Own room, shared bathroom.
- See alpine flora on tour and hear about the wildlife of the area.
- We will make a donation of $200 to the wild horses.