5 Day Tour to Port Ligar, Pelorus Sounds, Marlborough
It is with great excitement that we now offer you a new tour to Port Ligar in the outer Pelorus Sounds.
Port Ligar is an extraordinary farm property with unrivalled views over D'Urville Island and smaller islands such as the Rangitotos and Chetwoods. Due to the generosity of the current owners we have been given the opportunity to do a day long loop walk on the excellent farm tracks. There are varied views from steep hill country to regenerating and mature native forest. This is a wonderful place for landscape photography.
The tour includes a day trip to D'Urville Island and French Pass. You will hear some of the island's colourful stories from your guide. The day includes visiting lookouts and a short walk at the mineral belt which has unique fauna and intriguing rocks such as serpentine .
You will have a chance to see the Pelorus Sounds by launch with Gary and Ellen Orchard. The name Orchard is synonymous with the Marlborough Sounds and Gary is the perfect person to give you a commentary at some of the area's highlights. See the historic boat building yard at Wakatahuri Bay and a mussel farm, where you will learn about New Zealand's mussel industry. Depending on the weather you may get to see the Chetwood Conservation Islands in the Outer Sounds.
We take a bush walk to Bulwer, a historic seaside settlement. Surveyed in 1859, it was once a depot for sailing ships passing the bay. The small sections did not eventuate into a town settlement so it later became known as 'McCauleyville' after the McCauleys who brought up many of the titles after their arrival in 1886. The name McCauley is well respected in the commercial fishing and boat building industry.
Your accommodation each night is at Waitata Lodge overlooking the Pelorus Sounds. Your hosts Debra and Mike Brennan have been developing this slice of paradise for their guest since 1988. The two modern lodges are nestled in native bush and have eight bedrooms and share bathroom facilities. Your meals are a menu designed by catering company Karaka Cuisine. They are easy to prepare in the fully equipped kitchen overlooking the bay.
This is a tour which will suit people who are fit and enjoy longer walks. So if this sound like your cup of tea get in touch or you can book online.
Monday 29th Nov 2021
Mon 21st Feb 2022
Mon 14th Mar 2022
4 nights, 5 days.
A good level of fitness is required for this tour, there will be walks of 1 - 6 hours with some short hill climbs
Twin share at the beautiful Waitata Lodge with our local hosts Debra and Mike Brennan. Twin share and shared bathooms
There is a loop bush walk at the Lodge and private beach
2 SUV vehicles with driver/guides
Twin share, private bathroom. Due to the limited availability of accommodation single supplement will be by negotiation
8 including your Driftwood guides
We have a pledge to financially support the Marlborough Sounds Restoration Trust for the eradication of wilding pines by $100 per visitor.
- Fully escorted tour in SUV vehicles with two driver/guides
- Return to the same comfortable lodge accommodation each night
- Views over the Outer and Pelorus Sounds, Cook Strait and Tasman Bay
- Day trip to D'Urville Island
- Day walk at Port Ligar farm
- Afternoon tea at the historic settlement at Bulwer
- Private charter boat tour with Perlorus Eco Tours with commentary by local historian Gary Orchard
- See the Chetwood Islands (weather permitting)
- Road trip from the Outer Sounds back to Blenheim via the French Pass scenic drive
- All catering provided, a menu designed for your tour by Karaka Cuisine
- Pick up and drop off from anywhere in Blenheim
- 4 nights accommodation
- All catering (alcoholic drinks are byo)
- Access fees to private and DoC property
- Charter boat trip in the Pelorus Sound and ferry ride to D'Urville Island
Questions? please call us at Free Phone 0800 708 844