Black Birch Alpine Flora Tour with Rebecca Bowater
Join Rebecca Bowater, award winning wildlife photographer and alpine flora enthusiast on this popular one day tour to the Black Birch in Marlborough's Awatere Valley. Rebecca can give you tips on macro photography and help us to identify the flora we find. Notothlaspi rosulatum or penwipers are one of the flowers we look out for. Sweet scented to livestock, this plant is vulnerable to browsing.
You will be driven to 440 metres by Will Parsons, experienced local guide and ex farmer. You will see stunning views of the Kaikoura Coast, Awatere & Wairau Valleys. No hiking is required.
You can walk on the flat plateaus and through the herb fields. If you are adventurous you can walk on single screes looking for plants.
This tour is suitable for anyone with a love of nature, it is about sharing our fascination for this alpine environment.
Departure date :
Saturday 18th Dec 2021
(We suggest that you book now to avoid disappointment as this is a popular tour)
Blenheim, car park on Grove Road opposite Firestone Tyre's.
NZ$200 Per person
Ten seater 4X4 Toyota Hiace.
little walking is required. However the ground will be uneven in places.
What to bring:
Wind breaker, thermal layers, stout walking boots. Sun protection and a water bottle.
- Spend the day with one of New Zealand's leading alpine authorities and natural history photographers.
- See alpine flora without a long hike.
- Visit one of Marlborough's best alpine flora sites.
- Get help to identify alpine flora at the flowering season.
- Enjoy the stunning views of Marlborough from 440 metres.
- A list of the plants that you might see to mark off.
- Binoculars, hiking sticks and reference books supplied.
- Packed lunch, morning and afternoon tea supplied.
- Hear the natural and human history commentary during the drive to Black Birch.
“Thank you for a great trip, loved every minute of it...”Eunice Belk, Blenheim.