4 Day Molesworth, North Canterbury and Kaikoura Heritage Farm Tour
We are incredibly privileged to have the opportunity to be hosted by the station owners of Awatere Valley and the inland Kaikouras.
This tour has been created due to popular request and includes visits to the warm hospitality of some of our high country friends.
We have chosen April as a time to tour when the exotic trees will be in their golden autumn colours!
The 4 day tour starts in Blenheim where we depart for our high country station host in the heart of the Awatere Valley. We will stop at a homestead for lunch before carrying onto Upcott Station where we will stay in the station quarters.
On our second day we will head west into the Molesworth Station, with plenty of yarns being told about the lives of the people who once battled on this challenging land like the story of Rachael and Bill Chisholm. We will overnight at the restful village of Hanmer Springs.
On day 3 we will have a guided tour of Flaxmere Gardens by its creator Penny Zino. After the tour we will have a picnic provided by Penny on her porch overlooking her award winning garden. This will be particularly stunning as she has many exotic trees which will be in autumn colour.
We will then drive via Waiau to Lynton Downs Farm where we will be hosted by Rachael and Kurt Bartrum. They are passionate about natural sheep fibres and will share with you their love of sheep farming.
On the final day we return to Blenheim via the East Coast Road. We will call at a local East Coast farming family for afternoon tea and more stories to share.
The tour finishes in Blenheim at around 5.30pm.
Monday 12th April 2021 - 8.00 am
Thursday 15th April - 5.30 pm
Monday 19th April 2021 -8.00 am
Thursday 22nd April - 5.30 pm
$2,350 per person
Due to the nature of rural accommodation single supplement is not available on the last night.
3 nights, 4 days
As rural accommodation is limited you maybe asked to share a bedroom or bathroom on some nights.
Night 1, farm quarters, own bedroom, shared bathroom.
(Please bring a sleeping bag and pillow slip for this night)
Night 2, private unit at motel.
Night 3, farm home stay, twin share. Single supplement limited to 2 people.
Ten seater hiace 4x4 van with covered luggage trailer.
Driftwood Eco Tours sponsors community projects to thank the special families and businesses which host us and make our tours memorable. Who we will sponsor for the coming season will be announced shortly.
- Meeting local farming families
- See farming in action
- Photo opportunities along the way
- No driving just sight seeing
- Autumn colours
- Small group (7 max)
- Stories from your guide and experienced driver
- Lovely time of the year to travel
- You can spend a few days in the Marlborough wine province either side of your tour.
- Experience the real New Zealand
- All accommodation and meals (does not include alcoholic beverages).
- Pick up in the Blenheim area
- All fees we pay to our host families and the Department of Conservation
- We make a donation to a rural community project. Last season we sponsored Billy Black Wool Man at the Kaikoura A&P Show. Billy in a very entertaining way teaches us about the outstanding qualities of natural New Zealand wool. We will inform you when we have a new sponsee.
"Rose and Will gave us a well organised action packed five days. Their local knowledge and research was evident right from the start which added enormously to the experience. The trip was made even better by meeting some of the locals who also had great stories to share. Thank you Driftwood Eco-Tours. Sue D, Marlborough NZ
Questions? Ring Will and Rose at Free Phone 0800 708 844 - 03 5777 651