Nature Tour to Farewell Spit & Abel Tasman (5 Days)
You will be guided into the stunning Nelson Lakes district on this 5 day Farewell Spit & Abel Tasman eco tour. Enjoy short walks in the nature reserves of Lake Rotoiti & Lake Rotoua. Your guide is knowledgeable about the flora and fauna of the area.
You will see the beaches of the famous Able Tasman Park walkway from your personally chartered passenger boat. During the tour you will learn about the wildlife, both marine and bush.
You will driven into the Cobb Valley, high in the Kahurangi National Park to hike one of New Zealand's most lovely and easy walkways. It is a wonderful place for looking for native birds such as the South Island robin, tomtit & kaka.
See the Gannet Colony beyond the lighthouse and enjoy a peaceful stroll along Wharaiki Beach on this Farewell Spit eco tour. Photograph the famous rock arch and other towering rock formations.
This tour will include meeting locals artisans, visiting historic buildings and other points of interest which we have discovered on previous visits. We will donate $300 to a community conservation project.
$2150 single supplement.
$1930 twin share.
Departure date: 14 November 2016 from Blenheim return.
Maximum number of passengers:
Five days, four nights.
Level of fitness required:
A responsible level of fitness is required to enjoy this tour. There is an easy hike of six hours duration, and a six hour boat trip.
What to bring:
You will receive a list of what to bring when you book.
- A relaxing van tour of the beautiful Nelson Lakes Distict of the South Island with a knowledgeable guide.
- Walk on the sands of the remote Wharariki Beach, and photograph one of the worlds most dramatic landscapes.
- Stay and dine at the quaint little fishing village of Collingwood. Delicious evening meals and picnics will be provided by a local chef.
- Have the rare opportunity to get close to a gannet colony beyond the lighthouse at Farewell Spit. Farewell Spit is a 26m sand spit at the northern end of Golden Bay. See sand dunes and sight other wading and pelagic birds.
- Take a day hike into the Cobb Valley. You will be driven via a 4WD road to the track's start which is 794 km in altitude.
- Relax & dine at a colourful and comfortable Inn near the beachfront of Pohara near the start of the Able Tasman walkway.
- Learn about the marine life, wildlife and trees of the Able Tasman Park on a private charter boat ride.
- All transport from your pickup in Blenheim until your return.
- Meals and packed lunches (does not include alcoholic drinks).
- Your accommodation during the tour, you may have to organise your accommodation for the night before and after the tour.
- Hiking sticks and binoculars. Reference books for plant and bird identification.
- Folding chairs and table for relaxed picnics in the wilderness.
- Pick up and drop off to any address in Blenheim before and after the tour.
- We plant one tree for every tour taken in our conservation wetland.
“"The scenery and colours were awesome. Will's driving and very informative and amusing narrative was wonderful and the depth of his knowledge amazing. The food was excellent and abundant and the weather just glorious". Jill Middlemiss, New Zealand.