5 Day Arthurs Pass Alpine Flora & Wildlife Tour with guides Rebecca Bowater & Will Parsons
Join alpine flora enthusiasts Rebecca Bowater and Will Parsons on their fun and informative tour to the South Island's Arthurs Pass and surrounding alpine areas. Rebecca has won a number of awards for her nature photography and has recently published photographic books on fungi and alpine flora. Will has been a nature photographer for many years and well known for his birds photography.
On this summer alpine expedition you will be driven to the mountain tops of Canterbury’s ski fields to discover alpine flora and learn their names. These little jewels of nature make you feel like you are on a treasure hunt. Rebecca our specialist guide will help you with the identification of the species and give you tips on macro photography. No prior knowledge is required, just a love of nature. While on the mountain top you will have breath taking views over Canterbury.
We have booked The Bealey Hotel bordering on the Arthur's Pass National Park for four nights, so you will have no packing and unpacking. The lodge will provide our evening meals, packed lunches and breakfasts so you won't have to worry about a thing.
Your tour will include easy walks at:
- Otira Valley to see Celmisias, Ranunculus, & Euphrasias
- Mt Hutt ski field to look for Leptinella & Ourisia
- Porters Pass to look for Leafless Pink Broom
- Lake Pearson for a chance to see Crested Grebes
- Mt Cheeseman ski field to look for Penwiper
- Craigieburn ski field
- Various short bush and tussock trails at Arthurs Pass
Will Parsons who is your leader and driver will share his passion for birds, trees and the often overlooked invertebrates. Will is experienced in off road driving coming from a high country farm in the Awatere. He has been guiding for over a decade and is the founder of Driftwood Eco Tours.
Airport Palms Motel 56 Roydvale Avenue, Burnside, Christchurch :
Monday 3rd January 2022
8.00 am (please arrive 15 minutes early, thank you)
4 nights, 5 days.
The Bealey Hotel, bordering on the Arthur's Pass National Park
Modern, Air-conditioned 4WD Toyota Hiace Van
Medium fitness is required for this tour.
As a gauge you must be able to climb a style and walk briskly 100 meters up hill without stopping.
$3,100 per person includes all catering
8 plus plus 2 guides
- Find and learn about New Zealand alpine flora and fauna
- Get tips on wildlife and macro photography from Rebecca
- Enjoy the companionship of like minded people in nature
- Guided walks on some of the trails at Arthurs Pass
- Stay in accommodation which boarders on the Arthurs Pass National Park
- Views over Canterbury and Arthurs Pass from high altitude (weather permitting)
- A chance to see and photograph birds such as kea, riflemen and crested grebe
- Fully escorted tour with two experienced guides
- Lodge style accommodation
- All catering (drinks at he bar are at your own expense)
- Plant lists of the areas visited
- Passes for visits to ski areas and other access fees
- Binoculars, reference books and hiking poles (please let us know in advance if you require a pole)
“Eric and I both thoroughly enjoyed your tour and meeting such lovely people.” Ann Turnbull, Blenheim
Do you have any questions? Ring us at Free Phone 0800 708 844