Alpine Flora Tour of the South Island (8 Hour)
You will be driven by four wheel drive van to one of Marlborough's best alpine flower sites in the Awatere Valley duing peak flowering season for the area. You will have stunning views of the Kaikoura Coast and Awatere & Wairau Valleys as the vehicle takes us to 440 metres. No hiking is required.
Will Parsons your driver is experenced in driving on local roads and will give you a commentary about the history of the area. Will is a fourth generation New Zealander and has farmed for many years in back country Marlborough.
You can walk on flat plateaus or if you are adventurious walk on a single scree to look for alpine blooms. It is suitable for anyone with a love of nature you do not have to be knowledgable.
Per person NZ$125.
Departure date & time : 9.00am on Saturday 16th December 2017
Departure point: Blenheim, car park on Grove Road opposite Firestone Tyre's. (booking essential as seats are limited).
Duration: Eight hours.
Ten seater Nissan Hiace van driven by an experienced driver.
This is a van tour, little walking is required. However the ground will be uneven in places.
What to bring: Wind breaker, thermal layers, stout walking boots. Sun protection, your lunch and a water bottle.
“Thank you for a great trip, loved every minute of it...”Eunice Belk, Blenheim.
- Spend the day with one of New Zealand's leading alpine authorities and natural history photographers.
- See alpine flora without a long hike.
- Visit one of Marlborough's best alpine flora sites.
- Get help to identify alpine flora at the flowering season.
- Enjoy the stunning views of Marlborough from 440 metres.
- A list of the plants that you might see to mark off.
- Binoculars, hiking sticks and reference books supplied.
- Home baked morning and afternoon tea supplied.
- Hear the natural and human history commentary during the drive to Black Birch.